Guitar Hero Friday

See? Look at that, I've managed to forget about my blog almost completely for, like two weeks. I'm horrible at this, really. I even went so far as to set it as one of my dials on my web browser, but no. I've done nothing about it. If it wasn't 3 a.m. on a Friday night following a Guitar-Hero-athon, there wouldn't even be an update now.

Senior year at my high school is a walk in the park. Except you're being chased by a pack of rabid dogs into a tangled wood with the only hope of escape being to climb up a sheer cliff-face with nothing but your fingernails to keep your grip on the smooth rock. And it's raining. A lot.

According to some (my teachers), I'm exaggerating a little. They're liars. I know it. And now you do too.

I have a little under a month before I'm going to be forced to go against my survival instincts, all of which are screaming at me to get the fuck out now, and place myself in front of three, potential strangers, and talk about what I want to do with my life after I've graduated from the last mandatory stage of America's fascist brain washing system. Because my plans to go to a community college then transfer to a university are something I want to share with anyone and everyone who asks.

Worse than the presentation itself, I'd say, is the project said presentation is based on. At least, for someone who aspires to be a teacher - like me - it is. Other students get to choose their projects, and do something they actually want to do. No. Not us aspiring educators; we have special requirements that have to be met, like teaching for at least two hours in each school level (primary, middle, secondary) and teaching a lesson to students in two of those levels. I understand the reasoning behind the requirements, but I refuse to think that it's okay to let everyone else do whatever the heck they want when we can't.

I have a week before winter break starts, bringing with it a huge lack of school, and, therefore, an inability to work on the physical aspects of my project (observing teachers). Meaning I have a week to finish up the observing AND teach a lesson to the ninth graders. And I'm stuck going to the job fair on Tuesday, because Oregon apparently has an incredible dislike for anyone that doesn't own anything particularly dressy or doesn't make a habit of talking to complete strangers and telling them a little about themselves. By that logic, Oregon hates me. I'm not surprised, and Oregon should know that, for the next two or three months, I hate it back a lot more that it hated me to begin with.

If you hadn't noticed by now, I'm very very stressed out by all this senior project and job fair business. So I thought playing Guitar Hero for a while would be more fun than watching Kingdom Of Heaven, which is what I was attempting to do at four this afternoon. So I put in Guitar Hero: Metallica (because Metallica is one of my favorite bands). Eleven hours later, after playing through half the game on medium (and being extremely proud of myself as a result) and making rockstars of four more of the characters from my novel (I now have five in total) complete with personalized guitars, I'm (a) not tired, like I ought to be, and (b) possibly more stressed than before, because I now only have around seventy-six hours until the job fair, twenty-three of which I have estimated that I will spend sleeping. Thanks to a video-game-induced trance, during which the passage of time and the needs of my body went unnoticed to me, I have lost ten hours of my weekend that could have been spent working on my novel. And I don't want to go to bed, because I don't know what happened to the last ten hours.

I will admit, thought, that video-game-induced trances have their upsides. In the case of guitar hero, I tend to more more than I normally do when I'm on the computer. And the lack of awareness of the world moving around me allows me to go a really long time without feeling the need to find food, which is a major plus. And if I'm at home playing video games, I'm not out getting hit by a car or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment