I'm on a roll

Third post this weekend. Who's on a roll? Me, that's who.

Today is Sunday. Normally that would mean that I have to do all of my homework, RIGHT NOW, because I have class tomorrow, and that means I have homework to do because I've been putting it off all weekend in favor of the internet and video games. But I'm going to be missing the last half of my day, the half for which all my homework exists, tomorrow so I can go observe an elementary school classroom. I get to go to school for three classes, two of which I hate, and then I get to go observe a teacher teaching her  fifth-graders. I will get recess. 

Then, on Tuesday, I will be forced to go to the job fair, as I've stated before. I imagine my morning will go something like this:

I woke up this morning and pulled on nicer, businesslike clothing, I'm not sure why, I just did. Then I went to school early and talked with my Warrior 104 teacher in the lunch room. She gave me a folder and told me to go to the auditorium and wait for instructions. In spite of my curiosity, I had a feeling that opening the folder was a very, very bad idea, so I left it unopened and sat down in the fourth row, third chair in from the aisle, my usual spot.

Eventually a teacher came and told us to go out to the buses, which were waiting for us, and get on the one with our advisor's name on it. It was at this time that the seed of panic in my digestive tract - I knew I shouldn't have eaten that panicfruit on Sunday night! - sprouted. I felt and uncomfortable pressure building in my tummy.

I didn't remember why I was being loaded on to a bus, but chances were it wasn't good. My class wasn't doing so well in terms of being ready to graduate halfway through the year. Yes, we had to do our senior projects in the first semester so that we wouldn't have to waste our time on a daily basis all over again next term. But we weren't doing so great on this front. Almost all of us had a C or lower in the class. I knew the teachers wouldn't want to go through all this all over again. So that could only mean one thing: they were loading us on these buses so that they could take us to an off-site location to kill every last one of us. In fact, the bus drivers were cancer patients who'd signed up specifically for this job, because their job was to find a cliff and drive every one of us over it.

But I said nothing, for fear of alarming the other students. And maybe because I was afraid that if I caused a scene they're sedate me or, worse, shoot me. No, I had to be strong so that my classmates could at least die happy. Not that any of them looked happy, but I didn't notice that.

Twenty minutes of driving and exactly zero 'accidents' later, we arrived at the community college. It was on break, so their plan must have been to file us into a large room and trap us there so we'd all starve to death while no one was there to find us. With that in mind, I planned to bolt as soon as they opened the bus doors. If I could just make it to my aunt's house and tell her their plans before they caught me, everyone would be alright.

My teacher stood up to give us a run-through of their horrible plot. "Okay, guys, this is what's going to happen. We're going to go sit through a lecture, and you have to take at least a half page of notes. Then we're going to go see the fair part. I recommend you grab something from every college. Then we'll do the interviews. You're guaranteed two, but we hope you'll be able to get three in."

FUCK MY LIFE. I was going to be forced to shake hands with, talk to, and by judged by complete strangers, not necessarily in that order. I would greatly have preferred by driven over a cliff against my will or being left to starve in a secluded room in the temporarily abandoned college.



I've been told before that I tend to choose weird topics for my essays for Writing 121, which is my seventh period class. And maybe the girl who told me this is right. My last essay, which I was pleased to find had received a perfect score, was titled, "Concerning Demons," and was about the demons in my novel. I wrote it exactly like one might write a research paper, and my teacher even had to ask if it was all fictional or if I needed citations, which I didn't. I even included a seemingly reliable source, Alfred Von Lichtenstein, a prominent demon scholar, to attempt to explain some of the concepts that demons don't know for sure. 

I asked Mrs. Williams to read my paper aloud, because if there's one thing I don't want to do, it's butcher my own paper with my lamentably inability to translate the words on the page to words from my mouth. I couldn't stop smiling self-consciously and hiding my mouth in my hand, because I love sharing my writing. But I don't get the chance to do so as often as I would like because I find my reading aloud skills to be lacking.  So, she read the first three and half pages (it was four and a third pages long) of paper to the class - it was a sharing day, and I bogarted

No one else wanted to share after me. 

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you would like to share your paper here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Soon your path to the dark side will be complete. And I'm also curious about that paper's contents.

    ReplyDelete