A White Hair

Please excuse my lack of humor. Today was not enjoyable, I've just woken up from a nap (making me feel crappier than when I'm legitimately ill), and I have a head ache. I want to complain, not joke. Deal with it.

Today has been relatively horrible, on most fronts. I went to bed at the same time, in the same condition, last night as I did the night before and, for whatever reason, I woke up this morning to the violent urge to just roll over and pretend life wasn't applicable to me. God, I wish life wasn't applicable to me. Maybe if I didn't stay up until two a.m. reading/writing, I'd be less tired, you say? Well, I'd love to point out that until exactly today, I haven't been particularly tired on this schedule, and, while I know it's not a healthy schedule to keep, I tend to make up for the lost hours by taking involuntary naps from four to five p.m through to sevenish. I blame my lack of energy on the weather - I was told there might be snow today, which would result in a "snow day,"  but no, no snow day for us. Instead the temperature jumps something like ten degrees over night. I don't miss freezing my ass off on the way home, but if it was going to be that cold, it could have at least had the decency to snow well enough to get me out of school.

But that's not really important right now, is it?

After three horrible class periods in which I wanted nothing more than to be any where that was not school, preferably home, and a lunch period that was enjoyable only because I was too busy watching Mason and Steven be jerks to be bothered by that one guy and his girlfriend being lovey-dovey enough to make me punch something, I was subjected first to listening to my Brainwashing teacher go over the notes for this chapter and then another part of a movie about Jesse Owens. I wasn't receptive to either bit in the least and followed the example set by my friend, Ben, who obviously wasn't paying attention as evidenced by his head being on his arms. This was either a genius move or a huge mistake, because I eventually started to doze off.

But! Before I took to nearly sleeping through the remained of class, I saw out of the corner of my eye a hair amongst my hairs that just did not look right. Having no shortage of hair, I delicately plucked the hair from my head, and I assure you, it was attached. It was entirely too light, I knew. I have dark blonde hair; it rides the fence between blonde and brown. This hair was much much lighter almost... Oh my fucking god, I have a white hair.

In all actuality, I didn't react quite so violently to the presence of a white hair on my head. I was curious, since I know that stress does not in fact give you grey hair, contrary to popular belief. After a while, I decided to ignore my knowledge and just be content with the idea that I had a white hair that was most definitely caused by all the shit I, being a senior in my school, have been forced to endure as a rite of passage. It was not a sign of knowledge or dignity; it was a sign of obedience, and I promptly discarded it. The only reason I was/am going along with their stupidass requirements, some of which are less stupid than others, was/is because I'd already wasted three years on LHS before I got it in my head that I was too fucking tired of it to care in the least about anything related to it. Also, I can't mooch three free, twelve-credit terms of college off them if I quit now, as much as I'd like to give my school the double bird and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment