Bloody Murder

So, I'm well on my way to graduating. But that's not why I'm posting.

Yesterday during fourth period, we were chilling out, right? Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone out in the halls starts screaming. This isn't the same as the screaming we're almost used to; the gleeful cries of freshman demanded a beating are a regular occurrence during our class. No, this was a scream that chilled me to the very bone; someone was being murdered. I was sure of it. But I didn't want to go out and see what was going on. What if doing so would have made me the next stabbing victim?

We laughed nervously. It was alright, right? They'd- they'd tell us if we had any reason to worry, right? This wasn't like when they found the gun case in the locker rooms last year; we weren't locked down or anything. And if we were, they'd tell us why this time, right? Right? ...Right?

Class ended shortly after that. I couldn't get that scream off my mind. Someone had to know what happened. All I had to do was ask around, right? Surely someone could tell me what happened. I needed to know.

I had a brief urge to treat my investigation as a noir. But then I thought against it; how much did I actually know about noir? Almost nothing. Besides, narrating my own actions would just distract me from the investigation, and that wouldn't be very useful.

By the end of the day, I knew one thing: these screams had not been a singular occurrence. Crystal described almost exactly what happened to us except for one detail: her experience took place in a different hallway in fifth period. Holy shit. I also knew one other thing, and it was that the choir seemed to be the only ones that heard these screams. No one else I talked to heard them, not a single person. Things like that don't just go unnoticed. There's more here than meets the eye, and I'm not entirely sure I want to go digging up graves to find out what.

Coincidently, the event gave me an idea for a side-project entitled, "Ploughton's Screamer," located here. I really shouldn't start stuff until I've actually decided what's going to happen, but, oh well. Too late now. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment